Sunday, October 18, 2015


Several houses in Old Town have been torn down recently, including a small house at the corner of College and 4th Streets (above), and the historic house at 1818 Church Street, which was destroyed by fire in 2014.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Update on 3rd Street

The small house at the corner of 3rd and Rock Streets has been moved. Meanwhile, work has started on the Louis P. Imhoff House at the corner of 3rd Street and Austin Avenue.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Update on the Louis P. Imhoff House

After years of neglect, the Louis P. Imhoff House at 208 S. Austin Ave. was finally sold and the word on the street is that the new owners plan to restore it. This house has many original features that are rarely seen any more, such as a root cellar and a cistern, so it will be a wonderful piece of history if it is restored.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Fitting Right In

This new house fits so well into Old Town that we almost didn't recognize it was a new house. This house is a vast improvement over the house that was previously on this lot at 1912 Church St. The previous house on the lot was demolished last September.

401 Myrtle St. - Part Two

Renovations are nearing completion on this house at 401 Myrtle St., which we first reported on last October.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Demolition by Neglect

This house at 208 S. Austin Ave. is one of the worst cases of demolition by neglect in Georgetown. Recently, a tarp had to be put over part of the roof because it was in such bad shape.

This house, which is known as the Louis P. Imhoff house, is one of the oldest houses in Georgetown. It was built around 1890 and is on the National Register of Historic Houses.

Twin Houses

We heard an interesting story on this year's Heritage Society Holiday Home Tour. One of the houses on the tour was J.G. Mullen House at 1305 Olive St. (top). In the 1950s, this house was converted into a tri-plex and was rented to students for some 30 years. In 1987, a new owner purchased it and wanted to return it to its original condition. As luck would have it, there is an identical house at 1602  Main Street (bottom) that the owner was able to look at to see what her house originally looked like. The house has now been beautifully restored.